Where We Came From
In the early 1970s, women in abusive relationships had no transition house to turn to. Pearl took these women into her Squamish home, fed them, and gave them the support they needed to rebuild their lives.
When the Howe Sound Women’s Centre Society decided to open a shop to raise funds for their drop-in centre and other programs, they decided to name their new store in Pearl’s honor.
Pearl’s 2nds was born in the spring of 2000, taking over the Howe Sound Women’s Centre’s previous office space on Second Avenue in Squamish. Accepting donated items such as clothing from the community, Pearl’s 2nds focused on selling the items inexpensively along with giving them to people in need.
In 2006, an opportunity for a better location brought a move to 38128 Cleveland Avenue, with the help of Canada World Youth students. The students also generously helped to renovate the space and to publicize the store throughout the Sea-to-Sky corridor.
More opportunity for growth arrived in January 2011. Pearl’s acquired the space next door, expanded their showroom floor, and took the opportunity to do further rennovations.
Today, the bigger, brighter store offers a more welcoming, shopper-friendly layout, which in turn brings in more donated inventory including a variety of antique items and more household goods. To reflect the store’s new image, Pearl’s 2nds was renamed to Pearl’s Value & Vintage.
What We Do
Pearl’s Value & Vintage addresses three distinct needs within the community:
- Selling gently used clothing, furniture, and household goods.
- Giving clothes and other necessities to people in need, both directly and through other non-profit organizations in the Sea-to-Sky corridor.
- Providing work experience and training to women in transition.
While donations are what drives Pearl’s operations, volunteers are its heart and soul. A strong volunteer base allows all profits from Pearl’s Value & Vintage to go directly to the Howe Sound Women’s Centre Society’s programs and services. In fact, without the dozen or so women and men who donate their time and talent, Pearl’s wouldn’t even exist!
Pearl’s Value & Vintage is proud to support the HSWCS. The funds generated through Pearl’s go toward programs such as Pearl’s Safe Home and Pearl’s Place Transition House, both of which provide food, shelter, emotional support, referrals, and advocacy for women and their children who are leaving abusive relationships.
Other HSWCS programs for adults include:
- Emergency transitional housing for women, children and pets in Squamish and Pemberton
- Women’s drop-in centres in Squamish and Whistler
- Multicultural outreach for women
- Free legal clinics for women
- Children, youth and family counselling for families experiencing violent
- Violence is Preventable youth education programs
Additional programs focused primarily on children and youth include:
- Hot lunches for local women and children
- CWWA (Children Who Witness Abuse)
- HEART (Healing Emotions and Relationships Together)
- VIP (Violence is Preventable)
- RSVP (Respect, Safety and Violence Prevention)
- SAFFE (Sea-to-Sky Adolescents’ Freedom from Exploitation).
New volunteers, donations, and customers are always welcome! Your gently used clothing, furniture, and household goods will find new homes through Pearl’s.